Here are a few ideas/recipes I came up with. S won't go near most of these currently but they may be useful for others. I have others, which I'll post at some point. Ingredients
Sticky Pineapple Chicken
Cals per serving - approx. 925 cals with 150g egg noodles OR 883 cals with 125g rice.
150mls pineapple juice (75 cals)
80mls low sodium soy sauce (50 cals)
80mls low sodium chicken stock (60cals)
80mls hoisin sauce (Blue Dragon Rich Hoisin Sauce 80ml = 248 cals)
65g brown sugar (240 cals)
1 tbsp mince garlic (8 cals)
2 tsps cornflour (Tesco = 45 cals)
2 tbsp Olive Oil (123 cals)
8 boneless chicken thighs (1472 cals) OR 4 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes (636 cals)
130 diced pineapple (tinned = approx. 130 cals)
65g roasted, salted cashew nuts (Tescos 60g = 360 cals)
Optional extras – chopped red onion & green beans
- Whisk pineapple juice, soy sauce, chicken stock, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, garlic & cornflour. Bring to boil and cook until mixture has reduced to a syrup like consistency. Set aside.
- Fry chicken pieces in olive oil and season with salt & pepper until cooked. Drain off any liquids then add sauce to pan and stir until combined. Add pineapple chunks and cashew nuts and cook, stirring, for a further minute.
- Serve with rice (approx. 180cals per 125g serving) OR Egg noodles (approx. 220 per 150g serving) - fry in oil to up the calories further.
Increase calories further by stirring in more oil (consider rapeseed oil rather than olive oil for this)
Pesto, Spinach & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
1 serving = approx. 600 cals.
Serve with roast potatoes OR creamy/buttery mash and veg to bump up calories.
1 large chicken breast
Pesto (Tesco Finest Basil Pesto – 40g = 168 cals)
Tesco grated Mozzarella & Cheddar (40g = 132 cals)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Slice chicken breast to create a pocket & stuff with pesto, cheese and spinach. Seal with toothpicks.
Coat chicken breast with oil and bake in oven until cooked.
Options – could wrap in parma ham or bacon to increase calories.
Chilli, Coriander & Mascarpone Prawns
Approx. 750 cals
Could replace prawns with diced chicken and chorizo to increase calories a lot.
IngredientsTesco King Prawns with Chilli & Coriander
Chilli Infused olive oil
30g grated parmesan cheese
Tesco Finest Tomato & Mascarpone sauce 1/2 pot
Serve with spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti, drain, coat in oil and put aside.
- Stir fry prawns & spinach, add in sauce and stir.
- Add spaghetti and stir to evenly coat and heat through. Could add rapeseed oil at this point to increase calories.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top to serve.
Fajita Spice Chicken & Vegetables
Serves 4. Approx 505 cals per serving, not including rice or other accompaniment
8 boneless chicken thighs (1472) OR 4 chicken breasts (800) cut into strips or cubes
Fajita Spice mix, medium strength (80)
Olive Oil (220)
250g red onion, sliced (95)
200g Green Beans (60)
300g slice bell peppers, various colours (90)
Stir fry everything & serve with fried rice OR in wraps with sour cream, guacamole & grated cheese (wraps will probably give more cals)
Top a large salmon fillet with generous helping of pesto, wrap in foil and bake for 15-20 mins. Serve with potato & veg options. (150g salmon = approx. 240cals – I usually buy a salmon half and cut my own fillets to make them a bit bigger than the pre-cut, packaged fillets you can buy)
Top a salmon fillet with spinach & feta cheese mix and wrap in filo pastry sprayed with oil/melted butter & bake. Serve with potato & veg options.
Fresh tuna steak fillet – rub with generous coating of oil both sides, then rub in Cajun spice, wrap in tin foil and bake for 15-20 mins. Serve with potato & veg options. 1 steak is approx. 110 cals but they are typically quite small so I use two per serving (220 cals + oil = approx. 300 cals. Add high calorie potato option and you should be able to get it up to at least 800)
Cheesy Mashed Potato
100g boiled potato (80) mashed with 1 tbsp double cream, 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, 20g cheese & original complan (can get from Tescos) = approx. 590 cals (might have to play around with texture / consistency to suit tastes)
Loaded Cauliflower Bake
Serves 2. Approx. 800 cals per serving (could consider mixing more oil or original complan in to boost calories further)
4 bacon rashers, cooked & crumbled
1 cauliflower, medium, cut into florets
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp cornflower
250 mls whole milk
Salt & pepper
2 tbsps olive oil
50g grated cheddar cheese
- Blanch cauliflower in boiling water for 2 mins, drain & set aside.
- Heat olive oil, add garlic & cook for 30 secs
- Add milk & bring to low simmer stirring until combined
- Stir in mayonnaise & season with salt & pepper
- Add cauliflower and mix thoroughly
- Transfer to casserole dish & bake in oven for 30 mins
- Top with grated cheese, bacon & parsley, return to oven for a few minutes until cheese melted.
Egg-In-A-Hole Pizza Bagels
Serves 2 (approx. 520 cals per serving)
Could increase by making your own pizza sauce and adding more oil etc.
30g mini pepperoni (130)
75g pizza sauce (45)
1 bagel, sliced in half (230)
2 tbsp butter / oil (200)
100g mozzarella (250)
2 large eggs (180)
- Make the bagel holes a big bigger using a cookie cutter or similar
- Melt butter/oil in frying pan
- Put bagel halves in frying pan & toast each side for 1 minute
- Top bagels with pizza sauce.
- Crack eggs into bagel holes, season with salt & pepper and fry
- Top bagels with mozzarella & pepperoni, cover pan and cook for 4-5 mins.
Banana & Peanut Butter on Toast
2 slices spread with butter, then peanut butter & topped with chopped banana for max cals. (approx. 700 cals). Replace toast with toasted bagel halves to inch up the calories.
Avocado & Egg Toast
Mash a whole avocado & spread on 2 slices bread toasted in frying pan with butter
Top with 2 scrambled or poached eggs (scrambled can be made using cream/oil to increase cals)
(approx. 700-800 cals)
Puff Pastry Breakfast Cup
Serves 6. Approx. 450 cals per serving.
Ingredients2 sheets puff pastry
60mls melted butter
6 large eggs (+ 1 extra for egg wash)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
Salt & pepper
8 rashers bacon, cooked & finely diced
100g grated cheddar cheese
10g fresh chives, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Cut pastry sheets into 12 squares (roughly 6x6cm)
- Brush a square lightly with melted butter then place another square on top. Cut off any uneven edges. Repeat with remaining squares.
- Place squares about 1 inch apart on a lined baking tray & brush each square with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 mins or until pale golden colour. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry peppers & seasoning until soft.
- Cut a square hole in middle of each pastry square and push down. Fill with thin layers of bacon, cheese & peppers. Push down using spoon. Carefully crack an egg into hole on top of layers.
- Return to oven & bake for 20 mins or until egg white is cooked.
- Sprinkle chives on top and serve.