F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum

Welcome to F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum. This is a free service provided for parents of those suffering from eating disorders. It is moderated by kind, experienced, parent caregivers trained to guide you in how to use the forum and how to find resources to help you support your family member. This forum is for parents of patients with all eating disorder diagnoses, all ages, around the world.

Join these conversations already in progress:
• Road To Recovery - Stories of Hope
• Events for Parents and Caregivers Around the World
• Free F.E.A.S.T Conference Videos

Visit the F.E.A.S.T website for information and support.

If you need help using the forum please reach out to one of the moderators (listed below), or email us at bronwen@feast-ed.org.

Need to talk with another parent? F.E.A.S.T. parents offer peer support via:

Hi All,

My sister has been out at her treatment facility now for 8 weeks. She is coming along well with the food, which is wonderful, but she still feels light-headed and having issues with her heart rate. They have tried a few different combinations of meds, but still not there yet. I'm afraid she's just done so much damage to her body after all these years that it's not bouncing back like we would have hoped.

My reasoning for the post this morning is that she has agreed to do a step down program after she completes this one, rather then come straight home and try and take care of herself.  Apparently though, the step down program requires the individual to pay for their apartment and the cost for food, and insurance will not help cover it. The program is all day, so she won't be able to work while she's there. Both my parents and I have been helping her pay the cost of things, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are services out there to help people like her continue treatment when it becomes financially burdening?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing about them!

Thank you...

It is nice to hear she has agreed to accept more help.
I am not sure about financial aid to programs in the States. 
I would suggest that you call the actual program or programs she wishes to attend and ask them directly if there is any financial support available to those with more limited means. 
I do recall Kali mentioning a free program in New York. It is a research faculty I think.

Sending my best.
When within yourself you find the road, the right road will open.  (Dejan Stojanovic)

Food+more food+time+love+good professional help+ATDT+no exercise+ state not just weight+/- the "right" medicine= healing---> recovery(--->life without ED)
Thank you, Enn

They want her to stay in California because her doctors and therapists are there, rather then having to start over with new people who don't know her history. I will continue to research more support options.

My first idea is to ask Laura Collins from FEAST about that.
Second idea is to ask church if she is in one.
Sorry, I do not know the system for that in US.
Keep feeding. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
I would call the county of where she is located and speak to the social services division. They may have some programs for mental illness lodging and/or board and lodge type residences. 
 Hi Alwaysthere, 

It is excellent that your sister wants to step down because that can help her to navigate the transition. 
Project Heal assists people with treatment grants in the US for those seeking help with eating disorders. You could mention this to your sister. If she is interested here is a link to the application.


Best wishes for your sister!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!