F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum

Welcome to F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum. This is a free service provided for parents of those suffering from eating disorders. It is moderated by kind, experienced, parent caregivers trained to guide you in how to use the forum and how to find resources to help you support your family member. This forum is for parents of patients with all eating disorder diagnoses, all ages, around the world.

Join these conversations already in progress:
• Road To Recovery - Stories of Hope
• Events for Parents and Caregivers Around the World
• Free F.E.A.S.T Conference Videos

Visit the F.E.A.S.T website for information and support.

If you need help using the forum please reach out to one of the moderators (listed below), or email us at bronwen@feast-ed.org.

Need to talk with another parent? F.E.A.S.T. parents offer peer support via:

Hi there, daughter travelling to London for two years and needs a good psychiatrist and gp, does anyone have any recommendations?
Veronica Camerling runs a private practice in Wimpole Street. Or there’s the Maudsley at Kings College. 
NELLY D 20 bulimic since age 12, diagnosed in 2011. 20 months useless CAMHs,7 months great IP, home March 14..... more useless CAMHs.now an adult & no MH services are involved. I reached the end of my tether, tied a knot in it and am hanging on. ED/Bulimia treatmentis in the dark ages in West Sussex.
Would strongly advise avoiding the Maudsley if under 18. Heard mostly good things about the Priory Group but no particular clinician. Might be worth researching into.
Maudsley saved our daughter's life, avoid Hayes Grove Priory at all costs.
I'm glad Maudsley helped you Foxglove. All I hear are from people with similar bad experiences to ours but they must have some successes or they wouldn't exist..

I've heard several times from people discharged from the Maudsley for not gaining weight then being referred to other places, including the Priory, then showing improvement.

I suppose it depends on the clinician you get wherever you go (and more choice in the NHS would be wonderful, then we can all go to the place that suits our children).. Also research is the key.
London is a very big place. If your daughter is going to be resident in the UK for two years she will probably be entitled to free GP care under the NHS. She will need to register with a GP near her residence both because GPs do cover restricted areas and for her own convenience and safety. The NHS is under enormous pressure and there is a national shortage of GPs so it may be that she struggles to see the same person all the time etc but it's important to register. With specialist help for her ED to be honest I think if she meets the criteria for NHS help she isn't well enough to spend two years in a foreign country away from family support. Some areas of London have no specialist NHS adult eating disorders services and others have long waiting lists for very short term treatment. If she is well enough to travel and you can afford private treatment there are private options. I have never used any of them as we do not have the financial resources and my daughters comorbidities might mean that they were unsuitable, but I do know of families who have found Dr Adrienne Key very helpful  https://wppractice.com/our-clinicians/adrienne-key/ She practices privately in central London. 
Fiona Marcella UK