F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum

Welcome to F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum. This is a free service provided for parents of those suffering from eating disorders. It is moderated by kind, experienced, parent caregivers trained to guide you in how to use the forum and how to find resources to help you support your family member. This forum is for parents of patients with all eating disorder diagnoses, all ages, around the world.

Join these conversations already in progress:
• Road To Recovery - Stories of Hope
• Events for Parents and Caregivers Around the World
• Free F.E.A.S.T Conference Videos

Visit the F.E.A.S.T website for information and support.

If you need help using the forum please reach out to one of the moderators (listed below), or email us at bronwen@feast-ed.org.

Need to talk with another parent? F.E.A.S.T. parents offer peer support via:

Would like to move CAMHS from one health authority to another. Is it possible?
You have asked that question 2 times, maybe you can delete one because you will get answers on both and that might be chaotic.
I don´t know if you can move CAMHS, Eva Musby will know that I think. Maybe send her a mail?
Keep feeding. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
I am sure someone from the UK will be around soon to answer that. Hold on...
When within yourself you find the road, the right road will open.  (Dejan Stojanovic)

Food+more food+time+love+good professional help+ATDT+no exercise+ state not just weight+/- the "right" medicine= healing---> recovery(--->life without ED)
Not in the UK, and I am sure some will answer, however when others have posted about this in the past the answer is no. You are within a certain area health authority. I understand that CAMHS themselves can refer to other areas if there is special expertise that is needed.
D diagnosed restrictive AN June 2010 age 13. Mostly recovered 10 years later.  Treatment: multiple hospitalisations and individual and family therapy.
I’m almost sure that you can’t. I think if you could there would be lots of people trying. As great as the NHS is, unfortunately it is a postcode lottery. We were incredibly lucky with our CAMHS. X
Pretty sure you can't though I've wished a thousand times over the last few months that there was choice in the NHS (and I'm in the London area where there should be plenty of resources).

Would there be an option to change the clinician e.g. psychologist, within the same setting?
Hi Seashell.

In general - no, this won't be allowed.  It is one of the things more people should protest about because this is one area where this absolutely no parity between mental health and physical health.  If you wanted a hip operation, for example, you have some choice and could be referred out of area.  With mental health there is no such luxury.
What may be worth doing is asking to see a different psychiatrist - I think psychiatrists often have different clinicians, e.g nurses who work with them so if you are unhappy with your d's present team, it may be worth asking to see another psychiatrist.  You do have this right, I believe.  
If there was another diagnosis - e.g. borderline personality disorder, and you disagreed with that diagnosis - I believe you could request a second opinion from another health authority.  In general you are stuck with your local services and as we know, this is qutie a postcode lottery.
Scotland and England have different health systems but in general the arrangements are the same in terms of patient rights.
Believe you can and you're halfway there.
Theodore Roosevelt.