F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum

Welcome to F.E.A.S.T's Around The Dinner Table forum. This is a free service provided for parents of those suffering from eating disorders. It is moderated by kind, experienced, parent caregivers trained to guide you in how to use the forum and how to find resources to help you support your family member. This forum is for parents of patients with all eating disorder diagnoses, all ages, around the world.

Join these conversations already in progress:
• Road To Recovery - Stories of Hope
• Events for Parents and Caregivers Around the World
• Free F.E.A.S.T Conference Videos

Visit the F.E.A.S.T website for information and support.

If you need help using the forum please reach out to one of the moderators (listed below), or email us at bronwen@feast-ed.org.

Need to talk with another parent? F.E.A.S.T. parents offer peer support via:

My d was hospitalized twice at Princeton and spent 6 weeks at ERC in WA.  She is now home, still struggling but is eating independently.  As her 18th birthday approaches, I am wondering if you have recommendations about  what legal steps should be taken so that I will continue to get information from her treatment providers and also so that I can authorize treatment without her consent.  I think a HIPAA waiver would keep me in the info loop, and I think a medical power of attorney would give me the authority to get treatment for her.

I am fairly certain I can get her to "voluntarily" sign these forms because she is still in HS and a long way from being financially independent.  I am just wondering what experience others have had with this transition.  Is it necessary to get a lawyer involved?
I have no advice that would apply to your country, but want to offer my support. On an interpersonal level this was straightforward for us because d is now in a good place and depending on us financially.

You are very wise to be taking care of this now.

D in and out of EDNOS since age 8. dx RAN 2013. WR Aug '14. Graduated FBT June 2015 at 18 yrs old. [thumb]
Just be aware that even if forms are signed that set 18 it can still change.unless you can prove she is incapable you may not get the access to records that you hope to.hopefully your d is much more compliant than mine though.i am finding it very hard navigating my ds anorexia in the adult system as she can shut me out at any time,for any imagined slight.i hope your ds independent eating continues.best wishes,
Signing HIPAA waivers for all medical providers was part of our agreement/contract prior to d going away to university.  It was not hard to get her to sign these, as she is dependent financially, and was motivated to be able to go away to school.

Is your d wanting to go away to school?  There are some good articles on the FEAST main site on transitions to college, and things to think about.  Here is a link to one of them.

What kind of professional support do you have at present?  Hopefully, your providers can also provide some guidance.

Sending warm support,
It is good to not only hope to be successful, but to expect it and accept it--Maya Angelou