User’s Guide | Rules | Contact a Moderator | Registration or Login Problems? | Eating Disorders Learning Center | F.E.A.S.T.

Custom Search of F.E.A.S.T. and Forum Content:
Register Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #1 
My 22 year old AN daughter graduated from college this past spring and has been traveling solo in SE Asia.
She became very sick for several days, got into Dr in Thailand, and is now regaining some lost weight.

She has just obtained a holiday work visa for several months in Australia. She is amenable to returning to her goal weight but she requires a very high calorie intake to put even a few pounds back. We would like to find a clinic where she could be weighed as we don't know the extent of weight loss and how much she needs to gain back. We live in the US so aren't familiar with the Australian health system. Is there a nutritionist or some type of clinic that she could private pay to be monitored while she is there the next few months?

Are there some types of high fat prepared snacks or bars available there that would be helpful for her to pack for snacks? I think that Amazon may deliver there now but it seems complicated.

I welcome any advice on monitoring and nutritional help. She begins her work in the Gold Coast and will eventually be in Sydney.


Avatar / Picture

Lead Moderator
Posts: 3,402
Reply with quote  #2 
It is great that your daughter is well enough to be travelling. 

Being a US citizen your daughter will not be entitled to care under Medicare which is our government funded health system. 

If she is working as part of her Visa it is usually recommended/may even be a requirement that she get some private health insurance here. The health insurance is a special type of insurance offered by the funds for overseas visitors. It covers care up to the level that the government funded Medicare level and if a higher premium is paid can pay even more than that. An example of the policies I am talking about is here :  This type of insurance would cover her if she needed to attend emergency or even if she needed to be hospitalised. 

If she has this insurance she can then go to any clinic and will then be able to claim back most of the payment from her insurance. 

If she is not legally required to have insurance then she can just go anywhere and pay out of pocket. Some clinics are reluctant to take overseas visitors, but generally in more populous areas it is reasonably easy to get into see general practitioners. To see a dietitian is also possible though, again she could search for and find someone suitable. Health insurance will generally not subsidise this. Please note I have said DIETITIAN not nutritionist. A nutritionist can be anyone who decides to put up a sign and does not have any qualifications necessarily, whereas a dietitian has done at least a 4 year degree and is registered as a specialist practitioner. 

I hope your daughter enjoys Australia.

PS . You can get Clif bars in major supermarkets in the "faddy foods section" - gluten free/sports/ no this or that foods.

D diagnosed restrictive AN June 2010 age 13.5. Weight restored July 2012. Relapse and now clawing our way back. Treatment: multiple hospitalisations and individual and family therapy.

Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Lostandfound

I'm from Western Australia and I know only of the Hollywood private hospital in Perth. I'm sure there are others near your daughter.

There are plenty of high fat options, for example full fat Greek yogurt in snack size tubs, nuts, avocados, Carmen's muesli bars, various rather nice tasting protein bars found in most supermarkets, such as Coles, Woolworths or Aldi. There are also hot pies and various pastries and savories to be found at bakeries at any shopping centre.

I hope your d gets the help she needs.

Best wishes!!!!

D became obsessed with exercise at age 9. Started eating 'healthy' at age 9.5. Restricting couple of months later. IP for 2 weeks at age 10. Slowly refed for a year and WR at age 11 in March 2017. She is back to her old happy self and can eat anything put in front of her. Now working on intuitive eating.

Posts: 1,792
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear lostandfound,

Here is a not for profit organisation that can provide you good information about Eating Disorder places in the Gold Coast & Brisbane areas its kind of like F.E.A.S.T although funded by the Queensland Government.

ED Dad

Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for your helpful replies!

Her flight landed this morning and she already has lined up a work away placement with a very nice couple until she finds employment. They have offered her full breakfast and use of the kitchen so that is perfect!

She does have a travelers insurance policy but I will check the link from you Foodsupport and definitely will look into the resource you provided AUSSIEedfamily.

Mamaroo, identifying specific markets and brands is very helpful for my daughter as, even still, a large shopping store can be overwhelming to
her without a list of specific foods to work from.

Thsnk you all again! She says the Coast is very beautiful!

Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi there,
I am on the coast and happy to help out (also with a 22 year old).
Have tried to message you with no luck, feel free to message me and I can give you plenty of info 😊
Your daughter is right The Gold Coast is beautiful!

Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you coffeetime,

I have private messaged you so hopefully that will work😊
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

F.E.A.S.T. Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders
is a 501(c)3 charitable organization committed to maintaining the Around the Dinner Table forum as a FREE service for any caregiver of a loved-one with an eating disorder.

P.O. Box 1281 | Warrenton, VA 20188 USA

US +1 855-50-FEAST | Canada +1 647-247-1339 | Australia +61 731886675 | UK +443308280031 

This forum is sponsored by F.E.A.S.T., an organization of parents serving parents and caregivers of patients of all ages with anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders. Information and advice given on this forum does not necessarily represent the policy or opinion of F.E.A.S.T. or its volunteers and is meant to support, not replace, professional consultation.

F.E.A.S.T. is registered as a nonprofit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Community Rules | Forum Rules | F.E.A.S.T. Principles | YMadmin | WTadmin
Custom Search of F.E.A.S.T. and Forum Content: